Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The week of meals w/some pictures…

So I started in on my meal plans in earnest this week and already I've veered from the plan.

Tuesdays we always have tacos because Rosa’s has Taco Tuesdays…where you can get two tacos, rice, beans, and two flour tortillas for $3.33!! I can’t make that from scratch for that cheap…at least not at this point. Once we have a few munchkins running around and they are eating tacos too, then it will probably work out cheaper to make it from scratch then. This isn’t my picture, just found it on the Rosa’s fan page on Facebook.

6760_111924939068_97246109068_2250633_1648308_n

Wednesday I made the chunky potato soup…which was a hit. It will definitely be added to the menu again, but it’s really more of a winter meal. It was definitely yummy though!! I snapped a quick pic before DH grabbed the bowl and dug in!!

002

Thursday I didn’t get the rice and beans started early enough, so we went with something a little less involved. I made baking powder biscuits and poached some eggs in butter in the microwave. Super easy and delicious. Also on Thursday I decided that if I was gonna take pictures of our food, I’d make a little more of an effort with presentation. I’m not much of a photographer, but I think the food looks a little more appealing when arranged prettily!!

005

Friday we were out running errands for quite a while and so by the time we were heading home, the last thing I wanted to do was go to the grocery store for cheddar cheese, cilantro, and jalapenos. So I made a few modifications to the pizza. I used only mozzarella for the cheese and used some spring onions instead of red onions. I left off the cilantro (since we didn’t have any) and the olives (since DH doesn’t like them). Finally, I used a can of drained Rotel in place of the chopped tomatoes and jalapenos. Dh said it was pretty good…which is high praise from a picky eater!!

020

Saturday DH had a class for most of the day (which I’d forgotten about) and when he came home he wasn’t feeling well. Since I wasn’t feeling so great myself I ignored the menu plan completely and just fixed a simple salad for DH and had a boiled egg myself. So no pictures for Saturday and I will just have to try out those recipes another time.

Sunday we just had coffee in the morning (since I hadn’t made the bagels on Saturday). After church we headed out on the search for a small, non-chain, family-owned Italian place that was in our price range and wasn’t too crowded for Mother’s Day. DH ended up breaking out of his manicotti-only mold and tried a pasta with spinach and a wine sauce (can’t remember what it was called) and I had a sampler plate of lasagna, chicken parmesan, and tortellini alfredo…yum!! Bug nibbled on our bread, bits of carrot from our salads, and bits of plain pasta. I managed to snap a shot of my plate before I’d killed it all off. We had our lunch leftovers for dinner (it was a lot of food).

006

Monday was designated for leftovers, but since I hadn’t cooked much over the weekend, we really didn’t have any. So I brewed some sweet tea, made a batch of tuna salad (with pickles, boiled eggs, and mayo) for DH, and made a batch of chicken salad (with diced apples, chopped celery, pecan bits, and mayo) for me. Bug got some steamed and blended apples and sweet potatoes. Once he was in bed we toasted some sourdough bread to eat our respective salads with.

So now we are back to Tuesday…our day for Rosa’s tacos and the day Mama doesn’t have to cook (especially since we still have more apple/sweet potato puree for Bug). Week one of my menu plan has passed. Here’s hoping that this week I’ll be more successful with sticking to the plan!!

No comments:

Tryazon Strictly Briks Party

In the middle of all the busyness that was the month of November I was chosen to host a Tryazon party for Strictly Briks. We got our party k...